2019 Australasian University Health Challenge
Universities from around Australia and New Zealand have challenged each other to a 6 week 10,000 Steps Health Challenge to see which institution can accumulate the most steps. This health-focused initiative is about encouraging small behavioural change.
2019 WINNERS - Victoria University of Wellington!
What is the Australasian University Health Challenge?
The Australasian University Health Challenge is a health-focused initiative where staff and students make behavioural changes to increase their daily levels of physical activity. Being physically active is crucial for health and wellbeing.
A large portion of our adult lives are spent at work; which are progressively becoming more and more sedentary environments. Less than 20% of Australian adults reach the recommended activity level of 10,000 steps per day. Recent research is showing that health benefits are found with even small increases in the number of steps we take, so now is a great time to start adding some more walking to your day!
12 Universities across Australia and New Zealand have teamed up to provide staff and students with an opportunity to increase their physical activity, through a fun and exciting inter-university competition.
Over a 6 week period from 19 August to 29 September, challenge yourself and your friends to increase your daily amount of steps through small yet significant behavioural changes. Represent your University and compete against other institutions across the country and sea.
Physical activity CAN be fun. Sign up with your friends and feel the benefits yourself.
How does the Challenge work?
Once you are signed up as a 10,000 Steps member, you can join the AUHC by choosing your team below.
Once you have chosen your Health Challenge Team, log your daily steps and your totals will automatically contribute to your University total. Set body goals and monitor your measurements throughout the 6 weeks for an additional challenge. You can add physical activity that excludes walking as well, such as cycling or swimming.
With your colleagues or by yourself, strive to increase your daily step count. Log your steps and physical activity through the step log, and visit this page regularly to see which University is in the lead!
N.B. None of your individual measures can be viewed by other participants. Only the totals of all participants are shown.
To encourage healthy competition between the participating institutions, the leaderboard will keep track of how many steps each University has accumulated so far. The leaderboard will update each Universities progress from the start of the AUHC on 19 August 2019 until the end on 29 September 2019.
This Health Challenge is now finished and no further updates will occur.
|Rank||Name||Weight Loss (kg)||Waist Girth Loss (cm)||Total Steps||Average Steps|
Victoria University of Wellington
University of Waikato
University of Canterbury
Southern Cross University
The University of Western Australia
The University of Queensland
Australian Catholic University
The University of Newcastle
Western Sydney University
University of the Sunshine Coast
Central Queensland University
How can I be involved?
Choose your challenge team.
New 10,000 Steps Members
1. Go to the 10,000 Steps website www.10000steps.org.au and select Sign Up.
2. Enter your details to create your own account, we encourage you to use an organisational email address if you are part of a workplace group. Please note down your password as you will need it to login.
3. Select that you would like to register as a participant.
4. You will be asked to verify your email address by checking your emails and clicking on the link provided.
5. Complete the last required details needed to create your account.
6. Your account will now be created and you can access your Dashboard.
7. On your Dashboard, click on the Health Challenge card to return to this page.
8. Select which Health Challenge team you would like to join from this page.
9. If you wish to keep track of your height, weight and waist measurements, and add your goals as part of this challenge you can do so in the Health Measures section.
Existing 10,000 Steps Members
If you are already a member of the 10,000 Steps website, you can join the Challenge by doing the following:
1. Go to the 10,000 Steps website www.10000steps.org.au and select Login.
2. Login with your email address or username and password.
3. On your Dashboard, click on the Health Challenge card to return to this page.
4. Select which Health Challenge team you would like to join from this page.
5. If you wish to keep track of your height, weight and waist measurements, and add your goals as part of this challenge you can do so in the Health Measures section.
If you have previously taken part in a health challenge you can choose to join another Health Challenge team from this page.