Thank you for becoming a Team Captain in a 10,000 Steps Tournament. Before your Tournament Coordinator can appoint you as a Team Captain you need to Sign Up to 10,000 Steps.
It is important to note that the same person cannot be Team Captain for multiple teams within the same Tournament and each participant must have a unique email address to create their own account.
How to Sign Up to 10,000 Steps
- Go to the 10,000 Steps website and select Sign Up.
- Enter your details to create your own account. We encourage you to use an organisational email address if you are part of a workplace group.
- You will be asked to verify your email address. Check your emails (don't forget to check your junk folder) and click on the link provided to verify your email address.
- You will now have access to your account and Dashboard.
- Email your Tournament Coordinator to let them know that you have created an account with 10,000 Steps and outline the email address you used so they can add you to your Tournament team and make you Team Captain.
What does being a Team Captain involve?
As a Team Captain, your role is to motivate and encourage your team members and remind them to log their steps on the 10,000 Steps app or website. You can view and update your team members on your team's progress, and add or manage team members online if required.
Your leadership, encouragement, and enthusiasm will have a very strong influence on the success of the participants on your team during your Tournament.
Help your team to get setup, stay motivated, and keep them on track by:
- Adding and managing team members
- Encouraging team members to be active
- Ensuring members are wearing pedometers or activity trackers
- Ensuring members are regularly recording their steps on the 10,000 Steps website or app
- Viewing team progress and updating your teammates
- Communicating with the Coordinator and Tournament participants
- Assisting your team members with any questions or concerns
Adding Team Members to a Tournament
Before adding your team members, ensure they have signed up to 10,000 Steps.
You may be asked by your Coordinator to add your fellow team members to the Tournament. To add your team members, you will need to know who will be on your team and their email addresses. Once a team member has been added to the team, any steps logged within their own account during the Tournament timeframe will contribute to the total team steps.
Participating in a Tournament
A 10,000 Steps Tournament is a free and interactive tool for workplaces, communities, and various groups to promote and enhance health and wellbeing. A Tournament involves forming teams, embracing a competitive spirit, wearing pedometers or activity trackers, tracking steps on the 10,000 Steps website or app, and integrating activity and movement into everyday life.
To contribute to your team during the Tournament, you will need to log steps in your own 10,000 Steps Dashboard. Only steps logged during the timeframe of your Tournament will be included in your team total. You can follow along with your team's progress and compare against other teams in your Tournament by visiting Dashboard - View Tournament. It is your responsibility to be actively involved and regularly log steps on the 10,000 Steps website or app. Take advantage of the reminder feature in the 10,000 Steps app to set up reminders to go for a walk or log your steps.
If you want to add activities other than steps, please talk to your Tournament Coordinator to check if this is allowed during your Tournament. Adding activity in minutes will add the estimated step conversion to your daily total, increasing your step count. If your Coordinator permits this, you can follow these instructions on how to log other activities in the Step Log.
Other helpful support topics:
- Counting your steps
- Sync your activity tracker
- Logging steps and activity
- Tournament Participant Support
On your Dashboard you can set your own step goal, view your own step statistics, participate in Monthly Challenges and connect with Friends. These features can help you stay motivated to be physically active once your Tournament has finished.
Accessing the Tournament
Before you can access the Tournament, your Coordinator or Team Captain will need to add you to your team.
Your Tournament Coordinator will have chosen the type of Tournament that you will be participating in as a group. This will be either a Time Out Tournament where steps are accumulated over a specific time period, or a Race Tournament with the goal of completing a virtual walking route.
Once your Coordinator has added you to your team, you will be able to access the Tournament by clicking on the Tournament card on your Dashboard if has already started. If your Tournament has not yet started, click on View Tournaments in your Dashboard where you will be able to view your upcoming, current, and past Tournaments.
Resources for Tournament participants
Your Tournament Coordinator has access to a number of resources to assist them with running a Tournament. They will be passing along resources throughout the Tournament but we also have resources just for you!
- For help using the 10,000 Steps website, please view Support topics and Frequently Asked Questions.
- If you have any questions about your Tournament, please contact your Tournament Coordinator.
- If you need assistance with the 10,000 Steps Program, please contact the Project Office.
Remember that every step counts towards your personal total and your team's total steps. Try to increase your own step count each day by making active choices. It is important that you remember to log your own steps and lead by example. Have fun and encourage your colleagues, friends, and family to be active with you!