Thank you for becoming a Team Captain in a 10,000 Steps Tournament. Before your Tournament Coordinator can appoint you as a Team Captain you will need sign up with the 10,000 Steps website as a participant. It is important to note that the same person cannot be Team Captain for multiple teams within the same Tournament and each participant must have a unique email address to register their own account.
How to Register
- Go to the 10,000 Steps website and select Sign Up.
- Enter your details to create your own account. Please note down your password as you will need it to login and use your work email address if you are participating within a workplace.
- Select that you would like to register as a participant.
- You will be asked to verify your email address by checking your emails and clicking on the link provided to continue to set up your account.
- Complete the last required details needed to create your account.
- Your account will now be created and you can access your Dashboard.
Accessing the Tournament
Tournaments are a team challenge for workplaces, community groups, or friends to participate in together. Your Coordinator will have chosen the type of Tournament that you will be participating in as a group. This will be either a Time Out Tournament where steps are accumulated over a specific time period, or a Race Tournament with the goal of completing a virtual route with an overall team step goal.
The Tournament Coordinator will need to create your team and appoint you as a Team Captain before you can access the Tournament.
You will receive an automatic email when you have been added as the Team Captain. Once this has occurred you will be able to access the Tournament by clicking on the Tournament card on your Dashboard if has already started. If your Tournament has not yet started, click on the View Tournaments Dashboard card where you will be able to view your Upcoming Tournaments.
Adding Team Members
You may be asked by your Coordinator to add your fellow team mates. To add your team mates, you will need to know (from your Coordinator) who else will be in your team and what their email addresses are. The teams should be formed internally before being entered onto the 10,000 Steps website.
Your team members will need to be registered with the website before you can add them into the team.
Once your team mates are registered with the website you can add them to your team by entering their email address, this is the unique identifier which connects their individual account to the Tournament team. Once a team member has been added to the team, any steps logged within their own account during the Tournament timeframe will contribute to the total team steps.
Logging Your Steps
To contribute to your team steps during the Tournament you will need to log steps in your own online 10,000 Steps account. Only steps logged during the time frame of your Tournament will be included in the team total. It is your responsibility to be actively involved and regularly log steps on the 10,000 Steps website.
To log your steps for the day click on the plus sign on the Dashboard and enter the number of steps you have walked or the activity in minutes. Alternatively you can click on the Step Log button on your Dashboard which enables you to enter steps and activity in minutes for numerous days. Entering activity in minutes will add the estimated step conversion onto your daily total, increasing your step count. If you plan on entering moderate and vigorous activity during your Tournament timeframe please talk to your Coordinator to check if this can be included.
To connect your 10,000 Steps account with Fitbit, please go to your Tracker Details in your 10,000 Steps account. Once your 10,000 Steps account is linked with your Fitbit account, you can sync your Fitbit steps by clicking on the sync icon on the right side of the Dashboard.
On the Dashboard you can set your own step goal, view your own step statistics, participate in monthly Challenges and connect with Friends. These features can help you to keep motivated to be physically active once your Tournament has finished.
Team Captain Duties
Your leadership, encouragement and enthusiasm will have a very strong influence on the success of the participants in your team during your Tournament.
As a Team Captain, you are responsible for:
- adding and managing team members
- encouraging team members to be active
- ensuring members are wearing pedometers or activity trackers
- ensuring members are regularly recording their steps on the 10,000 Steps website
- viewing team progress and updating your team mates
- communicating with the Coordinator and members.
Remember that every step counts towards your personal total and to your team steps. Try to increase your own step count each day by making active choices. It is important that you remember to log your own steps and lead by example. Have fun and encourage your colleagues, friends and family to be active with you!
- If you have any questions about your Tournament please contact your Tournament Coordinator.
- If you need assistance regarding the 10,000 Steps website, please view our Support section or contact the Project Office.