The 10,000 Steps Website (our "Website") has been developed by CQUniversity Australia with funding from the Department of Health, Queensland Government.
Our Website Purpose
The purpose of our Website is to help adults increase their daily physical activity with the use of a step counting pedometer or activity tracker. Our Website aims to allow the physical activity resources of the 10,000 Steps Project to be disseminated and made available for use by individuals, workplaces and communities. We also aim to investigate how participants use our Website to help inform future upgrades of our Website and future research and health promotion activities.
The information on our 10,000 Steps Website is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician.
10,000 Steps stores its data on a secure server off shore in Singapore. By providing your personal information to us you acknowledge and consent to storage on that secure server which is subject to the Privacy and disclosure laws of Singapore.
Information we collect from you
When you visit our Website, we collect information in the following ways:
- To access and use the Website, you will be required to sign up as a user ("Registered User") and provide 10,000 Steps with some personal details. Personal information entered by a Registered User into our Website includes: Full name, email address, date of birth, gender, Country/State/City and post code and will be stored in our website database and used as per the Why we collect this information section detailed below.
- By registering you give us permission to use your information within our database, profiles will not be deleted however user's can request for their account to be deactivated.
- Other usage data entered by the Registered User’s into our Website (including Dashboard data, steps entered, goal steps etc) will be recorded and stored in our Website database.
Information we get from your use of our Website and Apps
- When you visit our Website or use our app, our internet service and
analytics Provider make a record of your visit and log the following
information for statistical purposes only: IP address, type of device,
operating system and browser, date and time of visit, previous site
visited, pages accessed and documents downloaded, visiting Country where
you are accessing from.
- When you sync a Fitbit or Garmin with our Website, only the step data is transferred from your Fitbit or Garmin account to your account on our Website. No additional data such as heart rate or sleep patterns are transferred across.
Why we collect this information
Personal information and usage data is stored to allow users to track and monitor their physical activity over time and can only be accessed by the Registered User who entered the information, or by 10,000 Steps staff working to assist the Registered User or to analyse the data for research purposes. 10,000 Steps uses the personal information, usage data and analytics we collect to provide, maintain and improve our website and app as well as for health promotion and research purposes. In these instances, only aggregated data will be presented and no individual data will be disclosed.
The contact information provided will only be used to send updates and provide information as requested by the user. You may also be contacted and invited to provide any feedback for research purposes and for improvements to our Website.
If you no longer wish to use our website your 10,000 Steps account can be deactivated, but it cannot be permanently deleted. Accounts are not permanently deleted for the following reasons:
- Maintain accurate reporting records
- Retain user data in combination with completed surveys
- Prevent the loss of step data
- Prevent accounts from being removed by mistake
- Keep the account for future use of the participant if they request
As a Registered User you are responsible for maintaining the integrity of your username and password. Your username and password are for your use only. You should not let anyone else use your username and password and you cannot transfer your account to anyone else. You are responsible for keeping your password private and confidential. If anyone logs into our Website using your username and password, you will be responsible for all entries and communications made using your account.
When visiting our Website you can access your personal information within your 10,000 Steps account. If that information is wrong, it can be updated through your account or by contacting project staff.
10,000 Steps will not be responsible to you or anyone else for any damage, injury, cost or expense related to any kind of material found on our Website.
How your information is shared on our Website
- When participating in a Tournament your step total will be added to a leaderboard, for more information on the information displayed please see the following Support topic. Your name, email address and step total (including steps walked and moderate and vigorous activity) will be collected and added to a Tournament Statistics Spreadsheet provided to your organisation Coordinator/s.
- Please note we strongly recommend registering on the 10,000 Steps website using an organisational email address if intending to participate in a Tournament. If you intend on participating in a Tournament using a personal email address, this will be shared with your Tournament Coordinator in the Tournament Statistics Spreasheet.
- Your Coordinator has agreed to use this information carefully in the Coordinator Terms and Conditions, however your name and step data may be included in regular Tournament email updates to other participating teams or for the awarding of prizes by the organisation.
- 10,000 Steps is not responsible for the content of emails sent by your Tournament Coordinator.
- Your name and email address may be used for account and team troubleshooting with your Tournament Coordinator.
- If your Coordinator has identified inconsistencies with your team step data, your account may be checked and step data shared with the Coordinator to identify any potential errors contributing to incorrect team rankings e.g. adding 100000 steps instead of 1000 steps.
- By participating in a 10,000 Steps Tournament you agree to enter your steps and activity as accurately and honestly as possible.
- You may be contacted 10,000 Steps or your Coordinator if potential step errors have been identified in your account to confirm any error that may have occurred.
- 10,000 Steps project staff may enter steps on behalf of participants on occasion in cases where the participants are unable to do so due to sickness or lack of internet access for a very limited time.
- By choosing to participate in the 10,000 Steps monthly individual Challenge you have the option for your details to be made public and displayed on the Challenge leaderboard in your Profile. The Challenge leaderboard is only accessible to other 10,000 Steps members who have selected the same option of the monthly Challenge.
- By participating in a 10,000 Steps Challenge you agree to enter your steps and activity as accurately and honestly as possible.
- 10,000 Steps does not take any responsibility for the Challenge leaderboard rankings as these are automatically calculated based on the addition of steps and activity from each participants account.
- If you choose to make your details public, your steps logged for the Challenge month will be automatically added to the Challenge (to show rank and percentage complete). This will be made visible with your name, age range and location.
By choosing to have your details displayed in your Profile you will be added to the public Leaderboard where your name, age range and location will be displayed. Your current annual steps and lifetime steps will be displayed and used for rankings.
The information shown on the Leaderboard page is accessible to all 10,000 Steps members.
The links offered from our Website are provided for the interest of our users. The links have been added because the content was deemed to offer appropriate information associated with the 10,000 Steps Project’s aims. Provision of these links does not constitute endorsement, non-endorsement or support by the 10,000 Steps Project, its funding body Department of Health, Queensland Government or CQUniversity Australia for the information, products, services or persons associated with the related sites. The content found by using these links is not created, controlled or approved by the 10,000 Steps Project and no responsibility is taken for the consequences of viewing or using such content.
The 10,000 Steps website does not host or receive funding from advertising or from the display of any commercial content. There may be occasions on our Website where organisations and their websites are recognised for their participation in 10,000 Steps or for support through donation of prizes.
The materials presented in the Website are distributed by 10,000 Steps and are presented as an information source only. The information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters presented herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information. The information does not constitute professional advice and should not be relied upon as such. Formal advice from a medical practitioner or health-care professional should be sought in particular matters.
10,000 Steps does not warrant that it will provide uninterrupted access at all times to this site or any websites linked to this site.
Despite our best efforts, the 10,000 Steps Project makes no warranties that the information in this publication is free of infection by computer viruses or other contamination.
Your use of our Website and any content or other information or materials provided on or through our Website is entirely at your own risk.
In no event shall 10,000 Steps, CQUniversity Australia or Department of Health, Queensland Government be liable (including liability for negligence) for any loss, damages (including without limitation, direct, indirect, punitive, special or consequential), liabilities, costs or expenses whatsoever arising out of a person's use of, access to or inability to use or access this site or any website linked to this site.
We are here for you